The aim of the Center of excellence for science and technology integrating Mediterranean region (STIM) is to focus on research, innovation and education within three Areas of Advance based on excellence profiles and active fields:
I. Advanced technology at nanoscale will focus on renewable energy and nanotechnology for medical diagnostic by development of new materials for solar and fuel cells, and by design of novel nanostructured biosensing materials for medical diagnostics.
II. Water and environment will include protection of the quality and quantity of water and climate change impacts as well as blue biotechnology/marine bioresources for bioeconomy.
III. Education will follow new strategic framework for European cooperation in Education and Training (ET 2020), establishing programs for entrepreneurship in natural sciences and technology structured according to the Areas of Advance, including continuing education and ensuring its excellence.
Areas of Advance
Advanced technology at nanoscale for Renewable Energy and Medical Diagnostics
1. Development of new materials for solar cells
2. Development of new materials for fuel cells
3. Design of novel nanostructured biosensing materials for medical diagnostics
Water and Environment
1. Transport dynamics and environmental monitoring in the river watersheds and coastal zone
2. Impact of climate change on coastal areas
3. Blue biotechnology/marine bioresources for bioeconomy
1. Program for entrepreneurship in natural sciences and technoloy structured according to the Areas of Advance, Education and Training (ET 2020)